B and D

Davis Methods - Theory and Practice
Zinat

B and D

Post by Zinat » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:31 am

I have decided to give my 13 year old the Symbols Mastery home kit. I feel I am doing it all wrong. My daughter can distinguish the b and D when reading out the alphabet however when reading she still stalls on those letters. What can I do ? I have watched the videos and I began with Minds eye and release as well as internal dial, then proceeded with the alphabet clay in capital letters . However the work book has other steps first like making a clay word and giving it its own significance . I feel I am the worst teacher ever !! Help

AbigailM
Webmaster

Re: B and D

Post by AbigailM » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:53 pm

You mentioned watching the videos, but did you begin by reading the book, The Gift of Dyslexia?

It sounds like you may have worked through the clay alphabet too quickly -- and you mention doing the upper case alphabet only.

Keep in mind that the goal of the clay alphabet is to de-trigger the alphabet -- that is, to find and resolve all the triggers for confusion. So you should expect that process to take time, and you should spend a lot of time on the alphabet mastery exercises.

With a 13 year old it is certainly fine if she continues to practice reading on her own during times when you are not working on the Davis approach, but you should not expect to see improvement in the reading until she has had an opportunity to follow the Davis program. Both upper and lower case alphabets should be completed before moving onto the word modeling -- and most children will need to complete a significant number of trigger words before there are significant improvements in reading ability. That's because those trigger words are so commonly encountered in print. In the last sentence alone I used seven. As soon as a reader encounters an unmastered trigger in print, they will become disoriented and lose focus.

For passage reading, you should also be using the reading exercises described in the book, starting with spell reading.

Finally, remember that Davis is not a teaching approach - as a parent you will be guiding your child as she makes her own discoveries. That's why we use the word "facilitate" and rely so heavily on the creative process.

Zinat

Re: B and D

Post by Zinat » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:11 pm

This was very helpful. I did not begin by reading the book! Also English is our second language so letters in the alphabet in Spanish as opposed to the sound in English still confuse her , and would me too!! I will go slower and read the book first! Thanks Ever so much . We will try and take the course with a Mexican facilitator , when we have more money ! Many thanks I will be in contact with you Abigail !