Dyslexia and music

Exploring the talents and abilities that accompany dyslexia
DLSmith

Dyslexia and music

Post by DLSmith » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:04 am

I am posting this to let folks know that dyslexia is not the doom and gloom that some folks might see it as.
I have a grown up son, who was diagnosed with dyslexia in grade 2 when he failed to master writing and reading skills. He actually faked it during kindergarten and grade 1, by listening intently and memorizing what he heard. So when the teacher read a book that they would follow along on he simply memorized it all. But as things got more intense with the writing and reading, it was clear that he had a serious problem... long story short he was followed by a psychologist all through grades 2 to 8 and had 2 years of special help during that period. He had extensive testing including IQ testing, which he scored in the genius bracket. I assisted at home with flash cards, and homework..and encouraged him to read anything he wanted to as long as it interested him enough to read.
When he was about to enter high school I was told not to expect much from him and that he should focus on looking at a career that would be easy for him. Well we were not having any of that.. at age 12 he discovered the guitar after seeing a BB King concert.. he was in love. I got him a guitar, and he worked at it constantly, his focus was amazing, as was his progress.. in a few short months he was good enough to put together a little band and they were good, he was amazing.. he won all kinds of school music contests.. and for the first time in his life he actually had confidence! This confidence spilled over to everything he did.. in the end he graduated high school and went on to University where he ended up with a double degree in philosophy and music.. he has since high school been an avid reader, his book collection would rival a library. He writes music now, as well as mastering key boards and bass and a few exotic instruments I can't even pronounce. He writes papers on philosophical stuff that is way beyond my understanding.
I just needed to put this out there.. to perhaps give some hope to those who may now have a young child like my son.. It takes a lot of work and patience but all of it can and in our case did.. produce amazing results. By the way he can read a book in any position, upside down, sideways or right side up or even mirror image.. I have no idea how but he figured this all out on his own.
I hope this will give some hope and encouragement to those who might need a little bright spot right now... :)