Order of Trigger Word Completion

Are you a parent working with your own child? Share here:
all-natural-nut

Order of Trigger Word Completion

Post by all-natural-nut » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:15 pm

My daughter just finished the program about a week ago, and I'm curious if there are different theories about how to choose the order in which the list of words is completed in follow-up. I am being eased into it by doing the easier words first, which makes sense, but once I get the hang of it, can I tackle the words based on frequency in the English Language? It makes sense to me that a child will progress faster if they know the more frequent words first. But I don't want to change the order if Davis had an idea that was better. Thank you!

chimi

Re: Order of Trigger Word Completion

Post by chimi » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:41 pm

My 8-year old son finished the 5-day program with a Facilitator during February 2016. In the following months we completed approximately 40 words (the easiest ones). By doing those words and working daily on the Kusch Ball exercises, I've seen a tremendous improvement in his focus and reading. He actually takes up books to read on his own...which NEVER happened before, other than to look at pictures.

After a long summer break, we are retaking our work with trigger words and I feel doubts in how to tackle them. What order should I use? How can I make sure he is doing the clay work and portraying the meaning correctly? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

AbigailM
Webmaster

Re: Order of Trigger Word Completion

Post by AbigailM » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:06 pm

It's wonderful to hear that your son is doing so well!

There is no particular order of doing the trigger words. You may want to simply follow your child's lead, giving him a range of options. Here's a quote from the end of Chapter 25 in The Gift of Dyslexia ("Implementing the Davis Procedures" that might help:
You can master the words on the Trigger Word list randomly, in any order, coming back to fill in alternate definitions. One of the gifts of dyslexia is the ability to sort things out automatically. Take advantage of it. Take frequent breaks, just for a few minutes. This lets the knowledge sink in and prevents boredom.

Keep it fun and adventurous. That is the best way to encourage real learning.
You might also find it helpful to browse through the sample word groups posted at http://www.symbolmastery.com for ideas.

Since it has been more than six months since your son worked with the Facilitator, this also might be a good time to schedule a review session with the facilitator. That will provide an opportunity for you to share your son's success, ask any questions you may now have, and for the facilitator to offer suggestions based on her observations and feedback from you and your son.