Could my child be dyslexic?

Traits of Dyslexia - Specific Tools - Personal Experiences
Stewpot

Could my child be dyslexic?

Post by Stewpot » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:02 pm

My 7 year old daughter is having some problems with writing and spelling but not so much reading, her dad is dyslexic and I've just started to wonder if she may be also on some level? She really struggles with spelling even in a basic level, no matter how much we go over them she just doesn't seem able to remember. Her writing is very messy & tends to be without gaps. she regularly gets both letters & numbers reversed, we have concentrated on this for a long time but it doesn't change. However she does well with reading so I don't know if it's possible to be dyslexic but not have so many issues with reading as the other areas? She does do some things like skipping some words when reading but it doesn't seem to prevent her enjoyment or understanding. Any thoughts or help much appreciated

MelvinHoward

Re: Could my child be dyslexic?

Post by MelvinHoward » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:12 am

All these are the symptoms of Dyslexia. Have you considered making her use some reading tools? They may help.

EricRomm

Re: Could my child be dyslexic?

Post by EricRomm » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:25 pm

Often, Dyslexia is genetic but it may not be necessary that your child is dyslexic. There are few other symptoms you must consider before making a conclusion.

Speech - apart from being slow to learn to speak, the child commonly mispronounces words, finds rhyming extremely challenging, and does not appear to distinguish between different word sounds.

Left and right - the child commonly gets "left" and "right" mixed up.

Phonology problems - phonology refers to the speech sounds in a language. If a word has more than two syllables, phonology processing becomes much more difficult. For example, with the word "unfortunately" a person with dyslexia may be able to process the sounds "un" and "ly," but not the ones in between.

Concentration span - children with dyslexia commonly find it hard to concentrate. Many adults with dyslexia say this is because, after a few minutes of non-stop struggling, the child is mentally exhausted. A higher number of children with dyslexia also have ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder), compared with the rest of the population.

Sequencing ideas - when a person with dyslexia expresses a sequence of ideas, they may seem illogical.

Autoimmune conditions - people with dyslexia are more likely to develop immunological problems, such as hay fever, asthma, eczema, and other allergies.

I hope your kid is fine. Fingers crossed.