Does this seem like dyslexia?

Traits of Dyslexia - Specific Tools - Personal Experiences
DangusIsBack

Does this seem like dyslexia?

Post by DangusIsBack » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:23 am

My 6-year-old son has trouble writing, at least in large part because of low muscle tone. I'm mad at his pre-school for having let other kids do all his work for him, but he's catching up.

He is a VERY strong reader, and loves books. I'm reading Harry Potter with him. So it's hard for me to think he has dyslexia. But when he writes, the order of letters within a word is bizarre. "Small" comes out "sllam." "Auto" comes out "Atou." "Awful" comes out "Alfuw."

I suspect he uses the way words look to read; at only six months, he would call out signs he knew, like "Petsmart" or "Friendly's." Perhaps he just writes all of the letters he knows are in the word, sometimes writing the easier letters first? (He could be rushing in school because it takes him a long time to write.) Or is this a form of dyslexia?

AbigailM
Webmaster

Re: Does this seem like dyslexia?

Post by AbigailM » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:01 pm

Your son's spelling patterns could be an indication of disorientation and/or difficulty with sequencing. He may mentally be able to recognize the words in print, but the letters are not being stored in his brain in a way that preserves sequential order.

The reading exercises described in the book, The Gift of Dyslexia, along with the clay modeling techniques could help address those problems. It will help him pay more attention to the order of the letters and develop a stronger visual memory that preserve letter sequence.

At age 6 he is too young for a corrective dyslexia program as described in the book, but you could take a gentle, go-slow approach with the techniques described, or you could buy a Davis Young Learner's Kit that provides materials and instructions for working with younger children.

It sounds like you are the parent of an extremely bright child. It is unlikely that school programs for dyslexia would help him, because they are geared to children who are struggling with beginning stages of decoding. Your son is way more advanced than that. (But it is possible that you could arrange occupational therapy through the school for issues related to his low muscle tone).

It is possible that the problems you are observing are simply developmental -- that your son's word recognition skills have leapt ahead his 6-year-old brain's ability to manage the writing part. However, the Davis tools would help him whether or not he has dyslexic tendencies, simply because they are geared to the specific areas of difficulty I described. An added benefit is that the clay modeling piece of Davis would help build up small motor strength and dexterity in his hands. Many occupational therapists encourage children to use clay for that purpose.